Our History

The origins of Castello di Pratelli

The old house is just 25 km from Florence, on a hill adorned with olive trees and cypresses, between San Vito and Poggio alla Croce. The view you can see, is particularly attractive. The quiet that you can enjoy today would never imagine the terrible battles that took place around these stones ...

The City of Incisa in Val d'Arno is located south-east of Florence and extends along the left bank of the Arno River, in the foothills of the mountains of Chianti and Pratomagno. The erosion of the river, which took up the prehistory, would be asked in relation to the origin of the name Incisa (ad saxa incisa - engraved stones), although legend has it that the gate was built by Hannibal in his rise to the north of Italy . The first settlement was Etruscan, as some archaelogical findings testify, but the importance of the town grew considerably in Roman times because of the proximity to major roads.



In Medieval times, the country buys more prestige representing a strategic point of sighting along the Upper Arno Valley. In this period are restored and fortified many of the ancient towers already present on the site, mostly of Lombard origins (cd gardinghi), and among them the Tower of Pratelli.


paesaggio Pratelli
The Diocese of Fiesole acquires in those years full control over the territory and so most of the estates located in this area comes gradually - through sales and donations - to the religious congregations. The Tower of Pratelli it is thus found in the territories of the neighboring Abbey of Monte Scalari.
At the beginning of the fourteenth century, with the victory in neighboring Florence of Black Guelphs and the consequent release of the White Guelphs, Incisa is unwillingly involved in violent battles and the Tower of Pratelli is half destroyed.Torre Pratelli

In 1312 Incisa is used as a fortress to block the way to Florence troops of Emperor Henry VII, supported by the Whites, who, in order to succeed in the conquest of the city, are forced to maneuver to circumvent the defense that leads to ransack and once again destroy the Tower of Pratelli.
This is then restored and enlarged to be transformed into a veritable mansion. The complex is owned by the monks of the Abbey of Monte Scalari until the suppression of the community took place in 1776. In the nineteenth century, the Villa Pratelli belongs to a large landowner of the place, Pier Giannozzo Mozzi, until the late nineteenth century. Then the estate was purchased by counts Grottanelli, whose coat of arms, a lion rampant, yet overcomes the main entrance.
The subsequent owners at the beginning of the twentieth century restructure the tower and the adjoining villa adding new buildings and giving the current neo-Gothic appearance. The complex today is built around a small central courtyard, which is overlooked by the medieval tower, the manor and a wing intended for local service. The villa is currently used as a private residence. The tower is used as part of the farm, for those who want to experience the thrill of feeling lord of the castle.